Hello Friends,
I would like to invite you and your child/ren to a literacy celebration! Each month I will be highlighting a different author and once a week I will be hosting a celebration of literacy in my home. For the month of September I am highlighting the author Laura Numeroff and her books, “If You Take a Mouse to School”, “If You Give a Moose a Muffin”, “If You Give a Pig a Pancake”, and “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie”. The celebrations will be held each Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. and will be about an hour long. I ask that a parent attends with their child/ren and help facilitate while the children explore the various books and accompanying activities. Our weekly celebration will begin by reading the spotlighted book together followed by learning activities that support the story. The learning activities may include art projects, science experiments, kids cooking, music, or other developmentally appropriate activities. I would love to work together to instill within our children a love for literacy and a love for learning. Plan on having fun and even getting a little messy! Please RSVP by each Tuesday so I can plan for materials. If you have materials that you would like to share during the weekly activity, let me know. This is a work in progress and I would like to hear from those who may be interested. Please feel free to comment on this post.
Thanks! Candice Nagata: 754-7030.
Literacy Celebration #2
Wednesday, September 14: “If You Give a Moose a Muffin”
| Activities | Procedures and Objectives | Materials |
| Science and Mathematics: Baking Muffins | The children will follow a recipe by measuring and mixing ingredients. They may make predictions and watch the muffins rise as the ingredients react one with other. They will use cooperation skills as they take turns as well as literacy and math skills as they read and follow the recipe with adult supervision. | * Parents may bring an apron for their child if they desire. Other aprons will be on hand to use. |
| Art Activity- Puppet making | The children will use their creativity to construct a puppet out of materials given. This may be a good opportunity to review colors and shapes and discuss various textures. | *Parents may bring an old sock for their child. Others will be on hand. Art supplies: markers, buttons, yarn, glue, fabric pieces. |
| Dramatic Play/ Puppet Show | Time permitting, the children may build their language skills as they play with their puppets and cooperate with other children in creating a puppet show performance for their parents. | Puppets |
| Snack | The children may enjoy the muffins they have made and this time to sit and interact with their peers. | Muffins and jam |
1 comment:
Thank you friends for such a fun day!
Post a Comment