Hello Friends,
I would like to invite you and your child/ren to a literacy celebration! Each month I will be highlighting a different author and once a week I will be hosting a celebration of literacy in my home. For the month of September I am highlighting the author Laura Numeroff and her books, “If You Take a Mouse to School”, “If You Give a Moose a Muffin”, “If You Give a Pig a Pancake”, and “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie”. The celebrations will be held each Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. and will be about an hour long. I ask that a parent attends with their child/ren and help facilitate while the children explore the various books and accompanying activities. Our weekly celebration will begin by reading the spotlighted book together followed by learning activities that support the story. The learning activities may include art projects, science experiments, kids cooking, music, or other developmentally appropriate activities. I would love to work together to instill within our children a love for literacy and a love for learning. Plan on having fun and even getting a little messy! Please RSVP by each Tuesday where possible so I can plan for materials. If you have materials that you would like to share during the weekly activity, let me know. This is a work in progress and I would like to hear from those who may be interested. Please feel free to comment on this post.
Thanks!
Candice Nagata: 754-7030.
Wednesday, September 7: “If You Take a Mouse to School”
Activities | Procedures and Objectives | Materials |
Literacy Activity- Book Building | The students will use their understanding of books to create a book of their own. They may demonstrate their knowledge of the front of the book, back of the book, how pages are turned, a title of the book and so forth. Students will use their creativity as they design and illustrate their own book | Lined paper, scrapbook paper, stapler, washable markers, colored pencils, and stickers. |
Science Experiment- Baking Powder Balloons! | The students will make predictions and then use their senses to observe a physical reaction. | Plastic bottle, balloon, baking soda and vinegar |
Large Motor Activity-Blocks | The wooden blocks will be placed out on the floor for the children to use their creativity to build structures of their own. They may develop social skills as they cooperate one with another. | Wood Blocks |
Dramatic Play/ Snack- School Lunch | Each child may pretend he/ she is having school lunch as they sit with their friends and eat out of their lunch boxes or bags. The students may develop social skills as they talk with their peers at “lunch time”. They may use creative thinking as they imagine themselves at school lunch | *Snack provided by parent in lunchbox/ bag from home.* |
7 comments:
Just a reminder that the Richmond City Library is beginning their Story Hour this week! It is on Thursdays at 10:30. The Schedule can be found in The Richmond Record. This is an amazing program that provides a wonderful opportunity to expose your children to great literature and for them to also develop a love for the library.
I am very interested in this! Thank you for doing it! I plan on bringing Haven...is there an age requirement?
Oh, this week it will be Ezra and Ean too!
Dang, we are doing the neighborhood preschool on Wed., sounds like fun.
There is no age requirement. Though directed more toward preschool aged children, everyone is welcome and there should be something that all can enjoy.
Shoot, Colton has preschool on that day, he only goes once a week and wouldn't you know it, Wednesdays! If you ever decide to do it on a different day, please let me know. I would so love to help!
Also, for anyone out there, who can give me access to post on the neighborhood blog? Please let me know, I have tons of yellow squash and some zuccini, if anyone wants it, and tons of cherry tomatoes.
Post a Comment