10.04.2009

Proposal

Thank you to Kim and Tania for attending the city council meeting this past week.  It sounds like Sadler appeared before the council and reported that he was in the process of completing all the necessary requirements to transfer obligations over to the city in the near future.  From what I can gather second-hand, the remaining projects include the following:

1.  Get the street lamps working.
2.  Pouring sidewalk along the south side of 300 South.
3.  Placing street signs at corners.
4.  Transferring water share certificates to the residents.

Kim, if there is anything missing here, please add to the list.

There was evidently a minor dispute between the council and Sadler about sidewalks inside the neighborhood.  The council questioned Sadler about sidewalks being completed and Sadler indicated that this is the responsibility of the lot owners as described in the CC&R.  The council countered that they could not enforce the CC&R, only their requirements for him, which evidently include sidewalks.  He suggested the council require sidewalks prior to approval for move-in when they do their inspections.  They responded with the concern that some of the lots may sit vacant for some time.  Thus, "prior to move-in" could be years away on the remaining lots.  I'm not sure that there was any resolution here.

The council was also concerned about water shares being transferred into the names of property owners, instead they asked that Sadler transfer the shares to the individual property lots.  Their view is that the shares are then attached to the lot rather than the owners themselves and will automatically be sold with the property when a resident moves.

From all that I can gather, it seems that the situation is more about flakiness than it is about malicious or deceitful intent, though many of you know the situation better than I.  With that in mind, I propose the following, adding the caveat that I am open to other ideas, opinions, or leaders:

1.  Attend the irrigation company meeting this Thursday.  I will try and attend and would be glad to have people come along.  The whole irrigation thing is pretty new to me so if someone has more understanding and expertise please step up.

2.  I would like to contact our representative on the city council.  This problem appears to be not only an issue with Sadler but also with the city.  It would seem logical to me that the city has some teeth or leverage that can motivate Sadler along.  The subdivision will surely be a significant voting block, which will likely provide incentive for our council representative to work with us.

3.  I think we give Sadler the benefit of the doubt that he is completing his obligations in the near future as he detailed in the council meeting.  I propose that we give him 1-2 weeks to watch for any change or progress.  In the meantime I can draft a letter/petition cordially outlining our concerns that I will post here first and then all interested parties can sign.  We then send the letter via certified mail or hand delivery and send a copy to the city council as well.  As part of the letter I think we put a date by which we would like to see progress.  If by that date there is no significant response we send another letter, again outlining our concerns and citing violation of contract.  We may request an in-person meeting and also mention the potential for legal action at that time.  Hopefully, it doesn't come to that.

Please provide any feedback, ideas, opinions, or criticisms of the above proposals.  I would also be okay if someone else feels better equipped to take the lead here.  We will be more effective if we are all on the same page, united in a plan, and willing to participate when called upon.  If anyone has contact information for our city rep and/or Sadler that would also be helpful.  

Tania and I look forward to officially being part of the neighborhood within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks all!  

5 comments:

LoGunns said...

Thanks CJ. Your plan sounds good to me.

Les said...

Yes, I agree. Sounds great. Thanks! I don't think either Judd representative will be able to attend the irrigation meeting, but we would so appreciate being informed of what is said.

Marcy M Miller said...

So who is responsible to finish the sidewalks of the state houses that were built?

Trisha said...

Sounds like the perfect course of action. Thanks for taking charge C.J.!

The Joham Family said...

Marcy the home builders are responsible for their own side walks. At the city meeting Sadler argued that the state should of put them in before a occupancy pemit was issued. The city was unaware of an issue, basically Sadler said that it would be taken care of even if he had to pour it himself.